13 January, 2012

Mmmmm ... Toasty!

Patagonia is rapidly becoming a new favorite brand for me this year. I've always liked their advertising efforts, and their consisten commitment to sustainability. But I never really "got" their products. My brand association for them would have been, "green" and "expensive". I always felt the pejorative nickname "Patagucci" suited them. But that's all changed now...

This year I've added some cold weather gear from Patagonia. It started with a Nano-Puff Pullover. Then I added a Retro-X windproof fleece. And recently, I scored a deal on a Down Sweater Hoody.

I know a few folks on the Patagonia Pro Staff and all have shared a similar sentiment - "If you want to be warm in miserable conditions, it's Patagonia." And now I get it. despite its whisper thin bulk, the Nano-Puff is a super-warm insulating layer that fits perfectly and easily stows in a pocket. The Nano-Puff caused me to want the Down Sweater Hoody for super-cold situations. I was looking for a mid-layer that would deliver extreme warmth, and still fit under a shell. Found it.

Finally, the Retro-X was a bargain find at the Patagonia outlet in Dillon, Montana. I've written plenty about windproof fleeces, but this is one of the coolest I've found. The "furry" feel looks cool and draws complements, while staying very warm. It's totally windproof.

But you'll notice repetition of one phrase, "scored a deal...". This stuff isn't cheap. But now that I've got some hours in outside in my Patagonia gear, I must say that paying the price will be far less painful in the future. Every piece of Patagonia I currently have significantly exceeds my expectations. Highly recommended!

-Sean-

No comments: