11 January, 2012

Technology Review: Columbia Omni-Heat Reflective

As a marketer, I see a lot of gimmicks. Hell, I've probably even a created a few of them myself. The outdoor industry is rich with marketing gimmicks. In an effort to create differentiation, new technologies join the fray every year. Some stick (rockered skis) and others crater (remember top-entry ski boots?).

Columbia Sportswear is clearly a company with tremendous marketing skill. They've grown at a fast-pace to quickly dominate many of the segments they sell to. Columbia's advertising is both attention-grabbing and on-brand. Its web site is well executed and easy to use. And, they're the masters of branding. When their engineers come up with something new, they've immediately got a name and a marketing push behind it.

So, my first encounters with the company's Omni-Heat Reflective materials were skeptical. I mean, seriously, it looks like a jacket lined with aluminum foil. I understand the principle -- reflecting heat means retaining it. Decades of Space Blankets have proven this principle. But Space Blankets are crinkly noisy and they breathe like a Hefty bag.

But now that I have three different pieces incorporating this technology, I have to say the company's claims of "20% warmer" appear to be fact. This stuff is noticably warmer than comparable alternative materials. My first Omni-Heat Reflective piece was a full-zip fleece jacket. Very stylish design, but what stood out immediately was that its WARM. When compared to my older The North Face windproof fleece, or my Browning Hell's Canyon jacket the Columbia jacket is EASILY 20% warmer, if not more.

In addition, the reflective layer seems to have no effect on breathability and even seems to improve wind resistance (although NOTHING tops my Simms Windstopper Fleece Hoodie for its wind-busting abilities). While wearing the jacket, the relective layer is silent and doesn't change the feel of the garment.

Since then, I've added an insulated hunting jacket and bibs with the technology. Both are similarly incredibly warm, quiet and breathable.

If you're a cold weather freak like I am, I would highly recommend checking out this new technology. I'm a fan!

-Sean-

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I recently bought a Columbia, Onmni heat jacket for my upcoming Mount Kilimanjaro Climb. The recommended jacket is a down jacket, but the Columbia jacket was at a price I could NOT pass up! Do you think this jacket will be warm enough with a few layers underneath?

Sean Hickey said...

While I can't speak for an extreme application like Kilamanjaro, the in my experience OmniHeat does add at least 20% warmth. What I don't know is the insulation of the model you purchased. If it's heavy enough, in combination with OmniHeat, then perhaps. But there's little that performs like down. Especially in terms of warmth-to-weight ratio.

Anonymous said...

Sean, would you please describe what ranges of temps and weather conditions you've tested your Omni-Heat in? I often find when someone says a piece of clothing is "Great for cold weather!" or something :) they mean right around freezing. I'm looking for gear that'll keep me warm outdoors in zero to 30-below-zero degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks!

Sean Hickey said...

Anonymous -- this actually raises a larger issue as well. Some folks are more inclined to be cold than others. You also build up cold tolerance through exposure. Plus, you have factors like wind, rain, snow, and other atmospheric conditions that impact the perception of cold. And finally, there's duration of exposure. I will tell you this -- I've sat in that jacket in a duck boat on a day with 20 degree temps, and 25mph winds for an entire 8-hour day without getting cold!

Pao said...

I recently bought an omni heat hardshell. When I wear it on top of a short sleeved shirt it leaves some shiny particles on my arms. Does this happen to any of you? It left me with the impression that the tiny silver dots can get washed off or something

heated jackets said...

Nice Review!

Unknown said...

That's happened to me too! I worry about these shiny tiny particles on my skin and clothes. I hope it doesn't cause some kind of cancer. Maybe we could write to Columbia and ask them is this normal for it to come off like that? My friend has the same type of jacket, but hers doesn't leave tiny shiny particles. I'm wondering if our jackets are defective?

Sean Hickey said...

Honestly, I've not experienced this issue in the two OmniHeat jackets I have. If I did, I would probably contact Columbia to see what they'll do for you. I had some Patagonia fleeces that were shedding and they gave me my money back.