03 January, 2012

Playing the Over Under

From the time I got serious about hunting and clay shooting, I've wanted a double-barrel over-under shotgun. The break-open action is super simple, as is cleaning and maintenance. But more important is tradition - a double has been the gun of choice for upland hunting for year. Plus, there's just something about the feel of an over-under. The way it balances, how it fits in your hand, and the way it comes easily up to and connects to your shoulder and cheek.

Then economics come into play...

My natural instinct would be to start with one of the storied "B" guns -- Beretta, Benelli, or Browning. I've had the opportunity to shoot a Browning Citori Sporting Clays as well as a Beretta Silver Pigeon. Both felt perfect in-hand and shot extremely well. But at $3,500 and $2,000 respectively, there's no way for a casual shooter with a day job (that's me) to justify such an extravagant purchase.

But wait a minute - if I don't shoot often enough to justify this expense, maybe I don't need the ultimate durability and level of finish these guns deliver. Perhaps a lesser alternative would work? I've seen plenty of used Remington Baikals, as well as the Stoeger Condor. Neither impresses me. The Baikals have some goofy features and that level of Russian machining that's decidedely underwhelming. I've owned another Stoeger. Let's just say you get what you pay for at the extreme low end.

Then I remembered CZ - my CZ 452 .22 bolt-action is a great gun that I got for a great price. Fit and finish are decent, it's been very reliable and accurate. Unlike its rifles, which are made in CZ's Czech Republic factory, their shotguns come from Huglu in Turkey. After some quick online research, I find the CZ Canvasback. This model includes a single trigger (cheaper models feature doubles - I've done that and didn't care for it), ejectors, and a nice level of fit and finish. A friend I hunt with frequently has had a CZ side-by-side and been extremely happy with it.

A little online research shows that Cabelas has this model for less than MSRP, and it's on sale for two more days! Road trip! I also took advantage of this opportunity to clean out the gun safe. As the new over-under will become my Upland field gun, I no longer need my Stoeger Uplander side-by-side. While its served me well, I've never liked the double triggers. These force a larger trigger guard which I've found beats up the base of my index finger pretty badly. And my Remington 11-48 and I have never gotten along since it's purchase a couple years back. While its operation is smooth and reliable, I've always had trouble shooting it well. Fortunately, Cabelas was very short on used firearms and was all too happy to take these off my hands.

Immediately upon picking up the Canvasback I could tell this was a winner. Balances well, feels good in-hand, and points nicely. Not too heavy, nor too light. Sold!

More to come after I put this gun through its paces a bit more...

-Sean-

No comments: