22 March, 2012

Rig Wranglin' - Part I

Over the Winter, I've done some shuffling amongst my steelhead fly fishing rigs. Based on my outing earlier this week, I'm pleased with the results.

Up first is the chuck-n-duck rig. For those of you unfamiliar with this Great Lakes technique, you're bascially fishing a running line (or some type of specialized monfilament line) with weight and flies below. It gets its name from the "chuck" motion required to throw the flies and lead, quickly followed by the "duck"motion that prevents a head injury. Many look down on chuck-n-duck, claiming it's not "real" fly fishing. I detest these "real" fly fishing discussions, so I'm not even going to head down that road. If there are flies on the end of the line, it's fly fishing.

My previous set-up was an older Orvis Clearwater II 9' 8-weight 2-piece with an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V reel and 30# Climax Zip Line. This set-up served me just fine and was actually my first steelhead gear.

Then last Fall I had an opportunity to fish a 10' Scott (and E2, I think) chuck-n-duck rig. It cast better, and I found strike detection a good bit improved. Then I remembered my Scott S3 9'6" 8-weight, sittting along in its tube in the basement. Since acquiring my Scott switch rod, this choice S3 has been banished from the scene, for the most part. Bingo - new stick!

Over the Winter I came into a gently-used Orvis Mirage V to upgrade my switch rig. The sealed drag was something I'd been wanting to improve Winter performance. So, now I've got a Ross Momentum 5 LT without anything to do. Eureka - better reel for chuckn'.

I also replaced the Zip Line as it was about time. On the advice of Baldwin Bait and Tackle, I shifted down from the 30# to 20# rated line. They felt it would help with taming the abuse the 30# was dishing out to my hands.

From the first cast, I could tell I had a winner. The Scott had far more backbone than its predecessor (in all fairness -- the Orvis was a $150 rod and the Scott listed for $695) making casts more accurate, timely, and consistent. Best of all was bottom feel. With the Scott, it was SO much easier to tell bottom for FISH ON! Hooksets were more consistent, with less effort. And, I had an oppportunity to put a serious bend into this stick - and it showed the fish who's boss.

The Ross Momentum balance perfectly and the smooth easily-adjusted drag was perfect for a wide range of fish. Honestly, I have few complaints with the previous Orvis BLA, but the Ross does feel nicer in-hand. But again -- Orvis reel was $225 list and the Ross over $550...

With Spring conditions come high water and a need to get the flies down FAST. Perfect for chuck-n-duck. And, now, I feel like I have a DIALED in rig for it!

-Sean-

No comments: