07 May, 2012

First Time + Lesson Learned

Latest addition to the fishing arsenal is a 6 weight swing rig. I've learned more lately about swinging for smallmouth bass from Mike Schultz - and this coincided with finding a great deal on a TFO Deer Creek 11' switch rod in 6 weight. I really enjoy swinging, so learning that I could extend my swing season on smallies was a very pleasant surprise! And, right in my backyard!

Added a Ross Evolution LT 4 (the Evo is quickly becoming my go-to reel) and lined it up with Scientific Anglers Skagit Extreme Intermediate head and a Floating Shooting Line with Dragon Tail. The guys at Schultz are big on the new Intermediate Skagit Extreme's. Although they only start at 400 grain weight, Mike threw one of the shop's on my Deer Creek, cast it briefly and proclaimed it a rocket ship.

Friday evening I had some time on my hands and beautiful weather, so it was off to the river. Sorry, can't divulge my spot. It's nearly in walking distance to my home and not very heavily fished just now. I'd like to keep it that way. Rumor was its been holding a lot of smallies this time of year.

After a few warm-up casts downstream to get my timing back and get a feel for the new rig, its time to move up into the prime slot. The 400 grain head is a little heavy, but this gives me a huge advantage as it's less impacted by wind, and forces me to slow down my timing. When you hit it even halfway right, KABOOM -- huge distance, little effort. A simple egg-sucking leech is the perfect fly option, I think.

Shortly, my line stops and thumps at the hang down. Hey -- the fish are where they're supposed to be! But something's not right. Smallmouth thump and headshake like my dog when you're playing tug-o-war. This is just THERE and big. It's peeling off line like crazy. I up the drag, get my wits about me and start to put the boots to this fish. Got a NICE bend in the rod and starting gaining inches, and then fee. As the fish comes into sight I realize -- that's no smallie, it's a CARP! And a big one at that. Just as I realize this, WOOSH! Off he goes across the river. I've lost 40 feet in the blink of an eye. Eventually, he tires and I start to gain some advantage.Shortly I have him back in close, when once again he finds another gear and races away from me.

By now, I'm thinking "Dude, you can't have much left, I got you...". Suddenly, Icarus plummeted back to earth - as trumpeted by the sound of "ping"and a suddenly slack line hurtling toward my head. Twenty minutes in and I've already hooked, fought, and lost my first even carp on the fly. On the swing no less!

But, before I tell you the rest of the story, let's digress for a moment...

Back when I first started fly fishing, I wasn't tying. Anything I fished, I bought. And with an affinity for trees, I lost alot of flies. That starts getting expensive. So online I find ReelFlies out of Canada. Cheap flies and they look nicely tied. It's only later that I learn about the importance of quality hooks. Every guide I know has said, "buy good hooks; a few pennies extra is worth it when you have that awesome fish on...".

Turns out they were right. Guess what came flying back my way? Yup, the eye and shank of the hook, with tied fly still intact, and the hook bend and barb GONE. I'll be chucking these leeches and buggers and re-tying my own on Daiichi hooks.

From Hero to Zero; in one quick ping.

Ah well, on the upside, Mike tells me I'm only the second guy he knows who's gotten a carp on the swung presentation this year. Pretty cool!

-Sean-





No comments: