23 May, 2012

Fishing Buddies

I've found something amazing in fly fishing - it truly is a family. In just a short time, I've made bunches of fishing-related friends. And, I'm continually amazed at how quickly that list grows. I always hear people comment on how hard it is to make "grown-up friends". Not when you fly fish.

It's a secret bond we all share. That we're all basically obesssive idiots. That we all KNOW there's an easier way to accomplish an end (like catch a fish). But, we're all stubborn enough to feel compelled to do it the hard way -- with some dryer lint artfully arranged on a hook.

What's cool is that unlike many other pursuits, with my fly fishing friends, we talk about TONS of other topics. A trip to the local fly shop for a seminar is as much like a cocktail party as it is a class! And the range of people I've met have been incredible from experienced guides and reps, to physicians, a carpenter, corporate executives, a barbershop owner, a publisher, and a whole bunch of folks who work in my profession of marketing. Pretty cool, AND a nice addition to my network of resources.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to years more of friendship!

-Sean- 

No comments: