17 May, 2012

Schwingin'

Mad props to Mike Schultz for introducing me to swinging flies for smallmouth bass! I love swinging with a two-handed rod and this really extends my season. I find spey casting really relaxing and it's a pleasant way to enjoy time on the river when they're not biting. I've now had a chance to get out a few times - even hooked my first carp on the fly!

So for you gear geeks, here's the final rig:
The 400 grain Skagit head may be a little heavy for a 6 weight, but it casts like a ROCKET! Point and shoot! Only problem is that it goes where you cast it; so get it right. I've got Skagit cheaters on order. As with my other Skagit-lined rods that little bit extra helps me not blow my anchor point as often.

For now, I've been swinging with a sink tip. But with the increased flexibility of a running line/head system, I'll also be adding a Scandi head. My plan is to use this to skate dries as the season progresses.

Too much fun! If you've never swung for smallies, give it a try! Lots of fun.

-Sean-

No comments: