16 May, 2012

Huntin' Hawgs

My more serious pursuit of large trout is a fairly new pheonomenon. I started this whole fly fishing game as steelheader, so the idea of catching a "monster" 10" brookie never appealed. But then I was introduced to the game of chasing big browns.

My turning point moment was last week. While speaking with Jon Ray the night before about possible float destinations, it came down to two. Float #1 was tighter and likely to produce high numbers of small-medium fish. Float #2 was more open with lots of cover and big water - and the opportunity to stick a donkey.

Without hesitation, I picked #2. This was new for me; in the past I'd have always chosen numbers. But maybe I was doing that for confidence-building? And now I'd found that confidence? All I know is that I recognized the potential for a trophy trout day. And I didn't want to miss that chance.

Did I stick that pig? Nope. I'm not ready yet. While I'm quickly gaining the skills, this is advanced fishing that even guides will tell you is the hardest type of fishing they do. I'll get there, but I've got to pay my dues. And I'll have a blast doing it.

-Sean-

P.S. I did turn a 20+ incher. While I whiffed by strip-setting, the adrenaline rush was comparable to the one I feel when a steelhead hits.

1 comment:

Jon Ray said...

Great write up Sean! Hunting for the big ones is all mental, you gotta "believe". Sounds like you have caught another addiction. Look forward to the next time.
JR