11 May, 2012

More Schoolin'

Had the good fortune to spend Tuesday floating in pursuit of trophy trout with both Jon Ray and Ed McCoy of Hawkins Flyfishing. We were throwing BIG nasty streamers hunting for the big boys. This is definitely not a game of numbers. It's about being ready when you get your shot at the big leagues.

As Jon told me the night before - a change to put on your helmet, buckle the chinstrap and take on a shot at the title. So, was I ready?

Turns out that while my skills have grown considerably in my first year of streamer fishing, I still have some more work to become proficient. My casting is MONEY -- I can hit the spots I need to, time cadence for opportunities, and not put my streamer into the trees (much). But hooksetting is my nemesis. I have to unlearn trying to keep stripping in favor of swinging to make 'em wear it!

My first fish really didn't commit, so he didn't really count. On the upside, I swung hard. But the second one chased down my streamer, commited to strike - and then peeled of after I finally remembered to hook-set. Meanhwile, Eddie's game is coming on strong with 2 nice browns boated AND a nice size brookie.

So, while I came away without trophies, I did find some enlightenment. But I did learn some great things:

  • Keep your head down; trout are fast and come from nowhere. When you see them roll and hit, WHACK 'EM!
  • On a strike, pinch the line, and WHACK 'EM!
  • Keep the rod tip down and excess line taught.
  • Don't give up, stay in the game.
Best of all? I had, as quoted by Ed at the start of the float, I had "blood in my eye". I wanted a trophy and I chose smaller numbers over a bunch o dinks. Both guides did remind me that this isn't kindergarten. It's all about putting in the hours. So, I'll keep at it; meanwhile lovei

-Sean-

No comments: