31 January, 2013

Go-To Gear - Part I

Last night I'm walking the dog as the weather goes from rain to snow all snug in one of my primary pieces and I realize that I truly have some Go-To favorite pieces of gear. So, I thought sharing some of these items might help others find some truly cool products.

Simms Windstopper Fleece Hoody
The garment that inspired this post. After picking it up on a whim, one of the things I grab without even a thought. Despite its fairly light weight, totally windproof. Winds of 20+ with gusts to 40mph last night and I'm snug as a bug. Also fairly warm. And best of all the cut always seems just right - nicely able to layer things under it (see Patagonia Nanopuff next item), but not overly baggy. Of course, like all Simms products with hoods, the hood is freakin' awesome. Yeah, it's $250. And it's worth twice that. Just buy one. Mine's black, like it should be -- picks up some nice solar energy when the sun pops out for a little extra warmth.

Patagonia Nanopuff Pullover
One thing first -- it's Patagucci, so it isn't cheap. But the reason is simple: it works and its warm. I once had a well-known Patagonia Ambassador tell me, "When I want to be really warm in miserable weather, only Patagonia will get it done." And I have to say I concur. Mine's the ultimate insulation layer for a pretty broad range of conditions. Last Fall I spent several full 30ish degree days out swinging in the Pere Marquette river with just a base layer and my Nano on top. Warm, dry and toasty. Didn't even need a shell or other top layer. Coolest feature? It stuffs into the chest pocket making it an easy extra layer to throw in your pack. My only criticism is the standard, goofy, "you never quite know" Patagonia sizing. Mine's an XXL because I needed it across the shoulders. Definitely a garment you want to try on before you buy it. If you like this one, but need something for colder temps, try the Down Sweater Full-Zip Hoody. And, yeah, I have one of those, too. I gave the Nano the edge as I find appropriate for a broader range of conditions.

Nordica Speedmachine 10 Ski Boots
I've owned a lot of ski gear, including boots. Remember the old Hanson VF101's? Top-entry? WTF was that all about? Had a pair for several years and could NEVER get them to fit right. I've had Lange ZRs, Nordica 981's, and a few others. But nothing compares to how happy I am with these boots. Great stiffness, comfy all day, and fantastic energy transfer. They're certainly not high-end race boots - which is fine by my middle aged skiing preferences - but they've got plenty of go. While the boots were pretty great out of the box, HUGE credit goes to bootfitting wizard Rob Parent, one of the owners of Sun & Snow Sports here in Ann Arbor, MI. Rob's one of the best in the Midwest, if not the country. If you want happy feet, go see him. He spent a bunch of time on mine, including custom orthotics that made a HUGE difference worth far more than the modest cost.

Columbia Stuttgart Boots
Fishing buddy and guide extraordinaire Jon Ray turned me on to the merits of duck boots for boat-based Winter steelhead fishing. Warm. Dry. Comfy all day. What more could you want? Turns out they're even good for duck hunting -- whodda' thunk it? I have no clue if these are the best. They were on sale and they fit me great. I love 'em.

Scott A4 Fly Rods
I own two A4's -- a 6-weight and a 7-weight. They're some of my most-used sticks. 100% made in America, even have Michigan-based ownership. I like that. But what I like the best is how they improve my casting and presentation skills. My 6 is awesome for terrestrials, nymphing, dries. But when the streamers or poppers bust out for trout or smallmouth, the extra oomph of the 7 is just right. Though I have several of the previous generation A3 and even an A2, the 4 series are a definite step forward. Looking for a great rod but don't want to spend a fortune? Check 'em out.

So there you are - five of my faves. Stuff that's so good I never give it a thought. In my book, that's great gear.

-Sean-

No comments: