01 February, 2013

New School vs. Olde Schoole

Seems like there's some stuff brewing in my local fly scene between the old farts with pipes and the younger flat-hat generation. Or at least the old farts seem to think there is. In all candor, I can say that the younger generation really doesn't seem to care about this alleged conflict.

One of my pet peeves in the sport of fly fishing (OK, yeah, maybe it's not a sport...) are the elitist trout-chasing dry fly purist snobs. These folks seem to love endless discussions of furled leaders, Orvis Superfine ultra-slow 4 weights, and the latest developments in fishing vests. They want fly fishing to be this niche sport that stays that way. These are usually the first people to say that this, that or the other technique, "Isn't REALLY fly fishing..."

I started this obsession as a steelheader - first chuck n' duck style and later fishing indicators with a floating line before graduating to swung flies. So, I suppose I'll never be a "real" fly fisher. I love smallmouth, hucking streamers for aggressive trout, and swinging flies. I do enjoy trout fishing immensely, but I'd have to say that a size 18 Adams on a floating line is really down my priority list.

So, when I start hearing one local guide and shop owner calling the next generation a "Circus" and "Hollywood" it rubs me the wrong way. Dude, no one put you in charge. Sports grow and evolve. Look at skiing - the emergence of freeskiing probably saved that sport from certain extinction. I don't see anyone advocating we all slide back to classic Hanson boots, straight skis, Salomon 444 bindings, and the one-piece fartbag suit. In fact, many in the industry proclaim skiing to actually have won out over snowboarding. The new school has infused energy and made skiing "cool" again.

Funny part, as I alluded to earlier, is that the new school really has no issue with the traditionalists. Most of them look up to many of these guys and the river skills they've acquired. Shoot, we're seeing a nice revival of traditional click-pawl reels in steelhead circles (I've even got one on my Scott G2 dry fly trout stick - it's a sick rig!). The younger guys I know are courteous, quick to invite newbies into the sport, and respectful of their impact on the environment. Many spend time to pick up trash while they fish, and participate in major river clean-ups (not just on the trout streams Up North).

So, to borrow a quote, "Can't we all just get along?" I think your ability to throw a #22 Caddis 50 feet on a floating line to fool an unsuspecting brookie is righteous. But so is me throwing a pretty circle spey cast with a sink tip and a 4" ball of wool, flash, and rubber legs downstream to an eager steelhead.

BTW, at 46 I'm clearly in the old fart demographic. But there's nothing that says I have to act my age. My younger friends accept me as one of their own and even help me stay young myself. Shoot, there are plenty of guys my age in that new school crew - I think even my 70 year old father counts!  A note to the traditional purists - you don't own this sport. None of us do.

-Sean-

No comments: