15 March, 2013

Do You Ever Work?

WARNING: Rant Alert!

A friend shared a great OpEd piece written by the former CFO of Lehman Brothers. This really sums up a big part of my philosophy of balance.

I get tired of people who say, "Do you ever work?" in regards to my outdoor activities. My reply - "Damn sure do -- pretty hard, too". That's a bit more polite than the answer I want to give.

Reality is that I run a small business, spend time with my family, do my part to keep my household running, and more. Sure, between this blog and Facebook, I share quite a bit. But that's because I enjoy it, and I've heard from a number of online friends how much they enjoy some of the things I do and places I go.

So before you make a snarky comment to me, or someone like me, consider a few things:
  • I seldom watch TV. I've had at least a half dozen people ask me in the last week if I had Netflix. Or if I watch Breaking Bad. Or some such other nonesense. Other than the worst parts of the Winter, I rarely watch more than a couple of hours of TV a week. And, usually I'm doing something else. So, while you're parked on your a$$ watching Curb Your Enthusiasm on Netflix, I'm learning how to tie Intruder style flies, or doing the laundry so I can ski on Saturday.
  • I don't have kids - so all that time you spent standing on the sidelines at the soccer field? Do you work?
  • I'm very efficient and plan my time well - I know what I need to get done in order to get outside. And I get it done to ensure myself free time.
  • I work to live, not the other way around. I get what needs to be done - and then some - done.
  • Time spent in outdoor pursuits recharges my batteries, helps me focus, and calms me. I know it's important to keep my mind sharp and my energy high.
  • I don't golf. An incredible commitment of time and I have no interest. But, I have managed to turn hunting, fishing, skiing, and shooting into tremendous opportunities to strengthen relationships with clients, partners, and others.
And, for the record, yes -- I find those comments highly irritating. I'm truly sorry if you can't find the time to do things you love. It isn't always easy, but I can.

-Sean-

No comments: