13 March, 2013

Product Review: Marmot Treeline Jacket

For the past couple of years, I've wanted to upgrade my skiwear to a more stylish look. When you're in your 40's and no longer hucking off cliffs or skiing bumps, you gotta' stand out somehow. Otherwise, might as well go for the Carhartt and Camo look. While my black Marker GoreTex shell is functionally great, it's visually dull. Time for some color. But there's no way I'm paying the going rate - this gear's gotten pretty spendy.

On our trip to Colorado, two of the guys rented demos from Christy Sports in Avon. Very nice shop with lots of the latest stuff. While I'm waiting for them to get set-up, I wander up into the outerwear section and find a 35% off sale in progress. Now we're talking! After a few moments, I find a really sweet Marmot Treeline jacket in my size, at a great price. SCORE!

Only one small problem. Earlier that morning, I've given buddy Dan a fair bit of shit over looking like a Smurf in his bright blue Karbon jacket. And, yeah, I'm buying a very similar color...
 
This jacket is lightly lined with synthetic fill for a nice moderately insulated weight. Proved a little too warm for all but our last day in Colorado. If it's over 30 degrees, leave this one home. But it will be perfect for a 20 degree (or a 5 degree) Michigan day!

GoreTex is rapidly encountering some serious competition. And I would rate the Marmot MemBrain system as nearly its equal. On our last day, it dumped at least 6" of snow at Vail. With wind gusts easily over 30 mph, the day was blustery, to say the least. But I'm toasty and dry in my new gear.

An adequate number of well-placed pockets is key to success in any ski jacket and this one succeeds admirably. Two inside pockets (one with headphone cord routing for my iPod Shuffle) are great for delicate items like phones. Two stacked chest pockets hold miscellany well and secure. And a cavernous inside mesh pocket is idea for sunglasses, glove liners, etc. But the best pocket is on the left wrist - the perfect place and size for an RFID lift ticket!

Best of all - a hood! I won't buy a ski jacket without a good, well-designed hood anymore. A little chilly on the lift ride? Up goes the hood and problem solved! This one's cut large enough to cover a helmet, but not so large it becomes a sail.

Of course now my brown tweed-ish Columbia ski pants need an upgrade. I'm thinking something the neon lime green accents of my Marmot Treeline!

Looking for an insulated jacket with great performance? This one's worth a look!

-Sean-

No comments: