07 April, 2013

Initial Product Review - Shimano Ultegra Clipless Pedal System

EMBARASSING CONFESSION #1: For some reason, I was never a Shimano guy. Kind of like how some folks hate Microsoft. I think it stems from my early days racing BMX as a kid - you were either Suntour or Shimano. I was the former, or at least until I got hooked on high-end one-off tricked out gear. Anyway, we've made our piece. I love my new Ultegra 6700 grouppo.

After upgrading the wheels, drivetrain, shifters, crankset, and saddle, my Olde Schoole Look PP206 clipless pedals were looking decidedly uncool. And, we can't have uncool.

When I headed to the shop, I was in search of Speedplay. Those trick-looking lollipops that you can't clip into the wrong side seemed like just the ticket. But a quick discussion with the knowledgeable shop dude suggested otherwise. Evidently Speedplays have a reputation for being hard to clip in and out of. If you've ridden with me, you know I'm a touch paranoid about that. I clip out pretty early. Falling on asphalt mixed with gravel SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKS.

Because I was replacing Looks, somehow spending a bunch more money to buy another pair of Looks seemed weird. Which led me to the Shimano SPD family. As mentioned earlier, I have had a built-in bias against Shimano. But, damn, I do love the new Ultegra set-up. And my 105 hubs. So, I start looking at the Shimano 105 and Ultegra pedals.

EMBARASSING CONFESSION #2: You know I bought the more expensive Ultegras. And you know why. Yeah, it's because they'd match the rest of the set-up. Fine, you're better than me. I'm over it.

Cool - so how'd they ride?

It was an interesting transition at first. The Look's had a much longer engagement "stroke". You could tell you were on them and they were clicking in, even if it took a while. The Shimano's were much more "wham, bam, thank you m'am". While I didn't get the immediate feedback, if your foot's in the right place, you're in. Quick. Simple. And with a polite "click".

Clipping out was similar. Didn't really require much thought, but also didn't provide much feedback. Twist - and you're OUT. At first, this was a bit weird. But after a few miles, the Ultegra's feel an immense improvement over their predecessors. The Ultegra clipless system is clearly a number of levels better than the old Looks. Crisp and refined.

The unexpected bonus was the larger platform. I've had some issues with hot spots and numbness in recent years. I was hoping that a different platform might help. And, so far, it has.

More to come as I get a few more miles on these, but early impressions are very solid. Quite happy with my purchase.

-Sean-

No comments: