02 April, 2013

The Fizik Factor

During last year's professional fit my uber-squishy Serfas RX saddle was the first thing to go. All that gel and padding had me just floating and moving my hips oddly. It was replaced by a Fizik Alliante VS. If you've never had a look at one, these saddles are both gorgeous and incredibly well-designed. The bike just looks faster with this saddle. It took me a bit to adapt - going from heavily padded to a board - but now I love it. Comfortable for the distance and smooths out my pedal stroke.

But wait...

So when I'm dropping my bike off at Aberdeen Cycle & Outdoors, Josh says, "Oh, cool - you can put the Fizik seat bag on this". Wait a minute - the WHAT? So, it turns out all Fizik saddles have an integrated clip system that enables you to attach their Saddle Pa:k seat bag without any external brackets or straps. My Topeak saddle bag is fine -- a bit too large and requires a mount at the top as well as a Velcro strap around the seat post. This last strap is a pain as I have to remove the bag to put the bike into my Park workstand. Not the end of the world, but a nuisance.

The best part about the Saddle Pa:k? I can score a brand new one for 20 bucks on eBay -- including shipping! Sweet.


My bag arrived yesterday, so I was understandably eager to install last night. Funny, it took me longer to take the Topeak bag off than to install the new Fizik! I'm very happy with the results. It looks sleek and integrated, rather than tacked on. And the smaller size is perfect for a spare tube, multi-tool, a house key, and a $20 bill! A great product from a pretty cool company.

-Sean-

No comments: