01 April, 2013

New(ish) Ride; First Impressions

It all started with a lowly 2005 (I think) Giant OCR3 road bike purchased from Great Lakes Cycling and Fitness. I was looking to get back into riding and mine was last year's model at a great price. Lots of upgrades since then, though the major one was having Steve Sauter at Great Lakes build me some lightweight, durable wheels.

But this year, the upgrading got serious. I scored a great deal on a gently-used Shimano Ultregra grouppo from a friend. The folks at Aberdeen Bikes & Outdoors in Chelsea did the build-up. Super cool shop -- my new local favorite. Cool people, nice selection, and no 'tude.

So, what's the finished product like - in a word UNF*CKINGREAL! Got out for my first ride of the season with buddy Josh on Saturday. Shifting was now super-crisp and predictable. I'm not sure how much weight I shaved with the new components but the reduction was VERY apparent. More "spring" and "jump" - with the ability to accelerate at an incredible pace. The Ultegra levers were especially wonderful as they put me in a very nice riding position and fit the hands really well.

But hands-down the best part is the new Ultegra double crankset. I hated the original FSA triple and it's evil companion the Shimano Sora front derailleur. Unless you're a hardcore touring afficianado, triples BLOW! Mine was heavy, shifted like crap, and generally frustrated me. But no longer - the Ultegra drivetrain rocks the house. Smooth, stiff, and the shifting is perfect. I think this upgrade is likely the biggest improvement, but time will tell.

So, here's the run-down on this beast as it stands now - I think I'm done with upgrades, but you never know:

Frame/fork: Giant OCR aluminum frame with carbon fiber fork
Drivetrain: Shimano Ultegra 6700 crankset, front and rear derailleurs, 10-speed rear cog, chain, Ultegra pedals, and Dura Ace super-smooth cables
Cockpit: Bontrager aero bars, Bontrager 100mm stem, Fizik bar tape, Shimano Ultegra levers
Saddle: Fizik Alliante VS, stock seatpost (amazingly...)
Wheels: Shimano 105 hubs and skewers, DT Swiss spokes, Mavic (I think) rims, Michelin Krylion Carbon tires in 23mm
Computer: Garmin Edge 305 with heart rate and speed/cadence sensor

And, a few pictures finish the story.

Trusty new steed on Huron River Dr. - my fave!

Shimano Ultegra drivetrain -- even the pedals!


Command Central.


Fizkik saddle and I took a while to make friends.

From a lowly recreational bike to a performer!

No comments: