11 August, 2013

Exhausted but Exhilarated

I did my first real 100%, no fudging, I know it Metric Century ride today. Last weekend's Komen Ride for the Cure fell a little short of 60 (by my GPS) and I'm not sure I could count the rid to and from my house as 2.5 miles. But today, we did 62.6 legit miles.

And it was brutal. I rode with people who are faster than I am, and fitter than I am (some both). But I persevered. The ride out was into a solid, gusty wind. And at a pace a good bit faster than I'm accustomed to (see earlier faster, fitter comment).

But the day was extra-special. Relatively new riding buddy Chris' does a ride each year to celebrate his birthday and does a ride equaling the distance to his age. Chris turned 60 on Thursday. Pretty damn cool.

The route friend and ride mastermind Josh cooked up was solid with some beautiful scenery, some great roads, and some brutish hills. I'm no climber, but I held my own today. And I'm damn proud of it. Last year I barely rode 200 miles. This year I've had a few times when I got in over 150 miles in a week.

Has it sucked? At times. Has it been disheartening to get dropped like a hot rock on some group rides early in the season? Yup. But today made it all worthwhile. I held my own with a solid group of riders.

Damn, I'm tired. And tomorrow, I'm going to be sore. But it will be the happy soreness the only comes from earning it. It was a good day.

-Sean-

No comments: