13 August, 2013

Jack of All Trades?

 
Had an interesting revelation as I was struggling against a stiff wind on Saturday while trying to keep up with a group of faster, fitter riders than myself. I'm a little bit good at a lot of things.
  • I can ride my bike 60 miles in under 4 hours.
  • I can tie a number of fly patterns.
  • I'm a competentent, capable skier.
  • I hit a reasonably high percentage of sporting clays.
  • I catch fish. Sometimes large ones.
  • I can row a drift boat.
  • My shooting skills are reasonably good.
  • I'm reasonably quick on a mountain bike.
But I'm likely not expert at any one thing. I suppose part of it is that I have friends who are really good in their respective disciplines. I have professional fishing guide friends who can row a river in the dark, blindfolded, with only one oar. I shoot with a buddy who hits clays I haven't even SEEN yet.

At first, this sort of bothered me. I haven an internal competitive streak that, though I mask it well, is definitely there. I don't like being outpaced in anything.

After some reflection I realized that this is OK. I have a personality that needs diversity. And that's OK. No matter what time of year it is, there's always something fun I can go do. My buddy who hits all the sporting clays can't cast a dry fly to save his life. And I have a friend who shoots quite well, but a long bike ride is 15 miles for him. Sometimes, being a generalist is OK.

-Sean-

No comments: