26 November, 2013

Be a Stud


Smartest damn thing I ever did was buying a second pair of Simms Rivershed boots after my last trip to Montana. I've written plenty about these excellent boots previously - great support and comfort, durable, and actually look pretty cool. But one boot won't do everything. Sorry, I've looked at Korkers, and somehow that whole interchangeable sole thing just looks like a huge potential liability on a frozen January steelhead day.

My first experience with studs was on a trip to Ohio's Steelhead Alley region with Mike Schultz. Schultzy insisted studs are mandatory for the Alley, and he wasn't kidding. Those spate river bottoms, with just a little algae have instant potential to become slicker than a freshly Zambonied hockey rink. Since then, I just left my studs in and found the increased grip was beneficial whether in a boulder-filled UP trout stream, or a frozen steelhead river.

Only one problem - boats. After two days of freelancing on the Madison in Montana (where studs were immensely beneficial), we moved to guided fishing at The Stonefly Inn. Dragging your studded boots into someone else's boat is bad form. Akin to playing golf without pants, I'm told. So we had to crank 'em out. Gigantic. Pain. In. The. Ass. Even if a someone doesn't mind you in their boat in studs, they're flat-out dangerous. Think of those childhood cartoon characters flailing wildly while walking on marbles. Yeah, you get the idea now.

Right after arriving home, I ordered up a second pair of Riversheds. Now I have a studded pair for walk-and-wade trips, and another to use when I'm out in my boat or someone else's. No wrestling with screw guns, mangling screw heads, or inadvertently punching a hole in your calf swapping out studs. Next week I'll be in the NY section of the Alley - once again, stud (and wading staff) water. No problem - grab the studded boots and I'm ready to rock.

Money well spent. BTW, I dig the Simms Hardbite Studs. Expensive, but worth it.

-Sean-

2 comments:

Rene V. said...

Hello Sean,

I use the star cleads now for a year,awesome.

Greetz Rene V./Holland

Sean Hickey said...

Rene - I'm actually adding some more star cleats for really slick conditions. I expect to be able to walk up a concrete wall now!