09 December, 2013

Product Review: Speyco River Switch Reel

Two word summary?  Buy. One.

Bonus word? Now.

The Circle Spey taking a break after a battle with Cattaraugus chrome.
I first stumbled on The Spey Company and reel builder Tim Pantzlaff a couple of years back on the Spey Pages web site forum. From the get-go, these reels appealed to me. 100% American-made (in Green Bay, WI), uber rugged, and with an incredible-looking clicker drag. Add to that the amazing range of customization options, and you've got a slam dunk.

With a trip planned to the Cattaraugus Creek region of NY's section of Steelhead Alley last week, it seemed like it was time. I selected a River Switch model, in black/silver, with the Snake Roll handle option. This reel was selected to match my Scott L2h 1157/4 switch rod as the Abel Spey I had on it seemed a bit on the large side.

Before I talk about the reel, I should mention the guy. Tim is about the coolest, most accommodating guy around. This is just someone I feel good about doing business with. In this era of global conglomerate fly fishing gear, that's rare.

Now the reel.

In my day job, one of my favorite industries is manufacturing, in particular metalworking. There's just something about the craftsmanship, precision, and the whole down-and-dirty nature of it that appeals to me. And the smells and sounds of the shop floor have always intrigued me. I knew the Speyco was for me the instant I opened the box. It just SMELLED like a handcrafted reel -- this one has SOUL right out of the box.

Part of the appeal of click-pawl reels is their simplicity. While Tim's Hexad clicker design is a bit more complex than some, it more than makes up for it in performance. This clicker is nearly the best of all worlds with much of the holding power of a disc drag, matched to the sexy sound of a screaming clicker. My first fish on it turned out to be a 30" hen steelhead. This fish was plenty strong, and even for a Winter fish, she had some go. I had expected to be palming the reel more, but I almost never needed to! Cool!

And that sound...

Guitarists praise the Fender Stratocaster for its distinctive sound. Pianists do the same for Steinway. Violinists for a Stradivarius. Yes, the Speyco is in this category. It has a unique, nearly undescribable tone and pitch. Over the course of three days in New York, I scored three fish on the swing and every time that beautiful sound cut through the air. Not a high-pitched scream, but more like a throaty growl.

Every so often I encounter a piece of gear that is truly exceptional. A favorite that I know I will enjoy and cherish for years to come. My new Speyco River Switch is hands-down my new favorite reel. Thanks, Tim for an exceptional product.

-Sean-

No comments: