09 February, 2014

Product Review - CW-X Stabilyx Tights

Decided last year that my Olde Schoole ski long underwear would benefit from a technology update. Yes, they had cotton in them...

Through the power of advertising, I discover CW-X's line of Stabilyx tights. Allegedly they provide some knee support, which I need as I've been skiing with a knee brace on the my tweaky right knee for a few years now. Plus, they come in a 3/4 length -- full-length base layers don't mesh well with ski boots. 

But, ouch -- these are not cheap. Fortunately, I was shopping in the off-season, so I was able to score a deal.

Now that I've got a couple of days in with them, I must say - they do seem to do what they promise. I've skied two days without my brace and my knee feels just fine. The compression also seems to keep my legs fresh for longer.  

Of course, the true test will come in Colorado later this month. If I can ski that whole trip without a brace, I'll be truly impressed. 

I do have a couple of minor issues. First, they don't seem as warm as some of my other base layers. Tomorrow morning will be interesting -- supposed to dip down to 5 degrees overnight, so I'll find out. 

Second, they're TIGHTS. My first outing, I didn't really get them properly in place (ridin' low). And things just didn't feel right until I broke for lunch. Lesson learned. Put them on. Let them stretch a bit and then re-position to get everything into place. Then it's all good.

So, first impression -- good product. Time will tell, but these seem like a worthwhile upgrade. More to follow after Colorado!

-Sean

No comments: