12 February, 2014

Product Review: Simms ExStream Jacket

I bought the Simms ExStream jacket the first day I saw it. I needed something warmer than a fleece for Winter steelheading. I had a Patagonia Down Hoody that just never fit right - to get the right fit across the shoulders mean a XXL with was tent-like on the body. I've finally decided that perhaps I need to give up on Patagonia's "skinny climber" fit. At least for my body type, Simms is where it's at.

But in the past, Simms tended to fall down on cold weather gear. If you wanted to be dry, you wore Simms. And if you wanted to be warm, you wore Patagonia. I think the folks at Simms got the message loud and clear. Life isn't all trout on a sunny day in Montana. Great Lakes steelheaders face some pretty brutal conditions, and being warm really extends our season (more on that later).

The ExStream jacket fit perfectly as soon as I tried it on. Roomy across the shoulders for swinging a spey rod, yet compact in the body for extra warmth. And, like all the Simms products I've owned - the hood is awesome. It's amazing the difference a well-fitting hood makes. Provides coverage, without hampering peripheral vision or just generally getting in the way.

The exterior material of this jacket is a huge step up in durability from the Patagonia NanoPuff and Down Sweater. Far more rugged and clearly likely to handle more abuse. While I'll definitely keep the NanoPuff as my "extra layer" because it packs down so small, the ExStream is a huge step forward in durability.

A few of the key features I love in this jacket:
  • Giant interior net cargo pockets: I first saw this trend in ski jackets a couple of seasons back and am happy to see it in a fishing jacket. Throw a hat, gloves, a flask, a fly box - or whatever - in here leaving the side hand pockets free. Nice.
  • Sleeves that are less bulky: Makes layering ever so much simpler. It's tough to find a warmer layer that slides under others well.
  • Uber-slick ripstop interior: Glides over base layer, fleece or whatever. Layers that don't play well with others are a huge pain in the ass.
In fact, I liked the jacket so much that I also picked up the ExStream pant for a warmer layering option. I purchased these for a December steelhead trip. Little did I know that highs in the 40's would make them unnecessary. Ah, well. I'm sure I'll need them.

But now for the confession - I haven't actually fished in this jacket. This year's BRUTAL cold weather has kept me off the water since the NY trip. Rivers that never freeze fully have been locked up for weeks on end. And getting motivated to spend the day on the water when they high is 3 degrees and you have a 10mph wind is pretty rough. However, the ExStream has become my go-to jacket for so many things. Warm. Windproof. Convenient. I am sure that once I get it out on the water, it won't disappoint.

-Sean-

No comments: