13 June, 2014

Cast Master

A quick outing on the Huron River last Sunday was a good reminder of the importance of practice casting. This was my first time throwing a floating line since last Summer (roll-casting a steelhead rig doesn't count). And I suuuuuuccccckkkkkked. A little wind and I can't throw a small popper 25' on a 4-weight. Whaaaaat?

Yeah. Gotta' get my ass out there and throw around the floater a bit. It's not strength. It's not power. It's all timing, finesse, and muscle memory. All things that appear to have gone completely out the window during this evil, Polar Vortex-fueled Winter. This is unfortunate as last year I did a casting lesson and was feeling much better


Timing was for shit to start. By the end of my outing, it had gotten better. But I think I need to go spend a little time throwing the floater on a calm evening to get that muscle memory back to where it needs to be. Solid aggressive pick-up, drift back, let the rod load, hard stop, go forward. It's a progression. I learned in my class that I need to break those steps down and then put them back together. I think it's time for a couple of weeks of casting practice. Topwater smallmouth's just coming into its own and I'll likely have some chances to go chase trout in the north. Got to get my game on!

-Sean-

No comments: