16 June, 2014

Project Ruger - Part I

My new project gun is off to a nice start. My goal is to completely trick out my Ruger Mark III as a tack-driving range pistol. Oh, and it should look cool.

The stock Ruger grips on my Stainless Target model are bad. I'm not even sure they're legitimate plastic - more like 1930's Bakelite. They make such a terrible first impression. This otherwise SWEET looking gun just looks cheesy. Plus, they're slick and don't fill the hand very well. I was surprised though that they shot pretty well.


I remember handling a Mark II some years back with the checkered cocobolo wood grips and really liking them. Ruger offers a 20% off coupon when you register with them (nice little spiff - smart, too) so a pair are ordered.


From the instant I open the package, I know these are MONEY! Rich wood tones. Nice matte finish. And a perfectly positioned thumb rest on the left side. Five minutes with a 2.5mm allen wrench and we're ready to rock.

The transformation is nothing short of jaw-dropping. From Plain Jane to Hot Rod in about a minute! Astounding how such a seemingly minute difference could have such an impact. I got to shoot it on Saturday and the new grips made it feel so much better in-hand.

So, what's next? Well, I need to get about 300 more rounds through it, but I can already see a few items on the horizon (I love these aftermarket projects - the parts are so inexpensive):


  • Replacing the cheesy plastic "Loaded Chamber Indicator" with a stainless steel filler (already on order).
  • Volquartsen extended magazine release and extended slide release. The new grips are thicker and a longer release would be helpful. 
  • Williams Fire Sights fiber optic sights; these are a definite "maybe". I want to shoot the stock sights some more.
  • And the big one -- a Volquartsen accurizing kit. This includes lots of components, but is mostly a trigger job to smooth the break and reduce the pull slightly. A little pricey, plus I think I'm going to have Volquartsen do the installation. I've taken a Ruger trigger apart before...

No comments: