16 January, 2015

Light it Up

I read an article in Bicycling magazine (which I curiously can't find right now) that showed the main ways in which cyclists are hit by cars. I wish I could find it, but one number really stuck out at me - over 60% of the time they are hit from the rear. I can't recall the other numbers, but do remember that this was over double any other direction.

This really struck me (bad pun, I know...). I have a rear light, but until I read this article, I was a bit too casual about turning it on. Mostly I'd use it on late rides at dusk. Not now. Every. Freakin'. Time. Cyclists are hard enough to see from the side or three-quarters perspective, but from the rear -- we practically disappear.

I'm a big fan of Lezyne products. They're beautifully engineered and manufactured. And they WORK. My Classic Floor Drive pump is the best pump I've ever owned. Today on Facebook I see a post on their newest rear light - the Zecto Auto. I'm getting one. Now. It's tempting to order one each for the road and cross bikes, but they're a bit spendy. So, this cool light has technology that senses motion and turns on. And after three minutes stopped, it shuts off. Presto! No more forgetting to turn the blinker light on. Beyond awesome! I like when I can easily build in safety to my rides.

-Sean-

No comments: