19 January, 2015

Initial Review: Blizzard Bonafide Skis

Short Review: Blizzard Bonafides are the best skis I've ever ridden.

If you're getting the idea that this is going to be a positive review, you're dead on. Picked these up at Sun & Snow Sports at the end of the season last year. This really started after how much I love my Volkl RTM 84 rockered skis. I've tended to have one mid-fat (84mm or so) ski and then one larger ski (100mm+) for fresh snow. I was quite happy with my prior Line Prophet 100's. I was generally pretty happy with these skis, though they were clearly primarily a powder ski. Really didn't handle Midwest hardpack all that well, and chattered insanely at speed on the hockey rinks of Michigan, plus turn initation wasn't especially great. My new Bonafides are 2013/2014 models, but the only difference are updated graphics (I prefer mine over this year's).

After a lot of debate, I settled on the Blizzard Bonafides in the 187cm length. I had some concern these would be too long, but also read that most rockered skis tend to ski shorter than their length would suggest. Also, my Volkls are 171's and I really wanted something longer for more stability at speed and in crud. As it turns out, my concerns were unwarranted. Turn initiation is easy and powerful - these are easier to turn than my 181cm Line's. Thank you rocker!

My main impression of these skis after a day at Caberfae Peaks on Saturday is that they're FAST. It's super-easy and comfortable to get up to warp speed on these beasts. And it's not that they're an uber-stiff speed ski, they just seem to encourage you to go fast because they're so smooth and strong. They feel rock solid at speed and cutting through crud. I'm really eager to get them out on some big terrain out West. Not to mention some deep pow!!!

They'll also throw down short radius turns surprisingly well. I got on them pretty hard in some tighter stuff on Saturday and they rocked it out. Easy turn initiation and reasonably tight radius. They're not mogul skis, but I'm no longer a mogul skier.

In reading some online reviews I've most frequently heard them compared to the Volkl Mantra. Most reviews mentioned the Mantra's stiffer tail as better for finishing turns on hardpack. I really didn't find this to be an issue for the Bonafides. Even when I really got on the tails at the exit of a turn there was no sign of wash-out. Perhaps it's just my skiing style, but it really wasn't even noticeable.

In the 30+ years of skiing, these are hands-down the best all-around boards I've been on. I've owned some legends over the years, but nothing that compares to the Blizzard Bonafide. I hesitate to use the term "one ski quiver" but these might just qualify.

-Sean-  

No comments: