23 January, 2015

A Body in Motion

Wow, is this Winter an improvement over last year. As most of the nation discovered not only what Polar Vortex meant, but how it felt, I specialized in one thing - getting fat. I watched way too much TV, moved way too little, and stopped doing the outdoor things I love. When I could find time to ski, the 3 degree high, coupled with 25mph winds kept me at home on the couch. Many days even my black lab/mutt, Lilly didn't want to go for much of a walk.

But this Winter not only is the weather a bit milder, I also went into the season with a plan. My plan was simple - diversity. Last year the gym was really all I had. This presents two problems - first, I hate gyms. And second, once the New Year's Resolution crowds showed up and the parking lot got choked with snow getting access was all but impossible.

New Blizzard Bonafides

Specialized Crux 'Cross Bike
This year the Epic Pass has allowed me to do some weekly outings to Mt. Brighton. My purchase of a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer has me riding 3-4 times per week. I've managed to get my Specialized Crux Comp 'cross bike out a couple of times. And, I've been skiing at Caberfae (given our dry December, I had to wait a bit).

All of this has reminded me - a body in motion tends to stay in motion. And a body at rest will remain there. I'm happy to have found a groove and put my body in motion. So far, despite a December markedly bad eating and drinking choices, my weight is "reasonable".

The Road to Nowhere
Yesterday I crossed the next milestone - making a commitment to complete my first-ever Century ride. For the third year, I will be participating in the Susan G. Komen Ride for the Cure in August. Unlike past years where I signed up for a shorter distance and then had a stretch goal of the longer one, this year I will settle for no less than a full Century. I'm riding in memorial of a friend whose life was cut short too soon by this disease. As a side note, I also increased my fundraising goal. So, if you feel compelled to donate to support my effort, you can see my online page and make donations here.

The net result? I'm enjoying this Winter a whole bunch more enjoyable than last.

No comments: