28 January, 2015

New Gear: Springfield Range Officer 1911 9mm

I love my Kimber 1911 Stainless Custom II .45. The 1911 platform, in addition to being among the most proven around, just works for me. I love the ergonomics. The balance. The feel. How everything on it seems so perfectly logical. The wide range of aftermarket parts you can get to customize feel, improve accuracy, and just make it "yours".

What I don't love is the cost of .45 ammunition. Ouch.

I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory products. I own both a full-size and subcompact XD models. And the 1911's I've shot were always solid. They make a great product, with good features, at a very fair price. With their new Range Officer 1911 in 9mm they're definitely showing that they listen to customers.

The Range Officer is a relatively new offering that's geared for competitive target shooting. They've given you everything you need, and nothing you don't. A gun that's supposed to be a tack-driver right out of the box, but that leaves you room (and cash) to customize. For a very reasonable price you get a match-grade barrel and bushing, extended beavertail grip safety, and adjustable target sights.

And now, you can get it in a 9mm. I had the opportunity to shoot a Smith & Wesson Custom Shop 1911 9mm a few years back. I came away extremely impressed. The ergonomics of a 1911, combined with the low cost and recoil of 9mm. Well, now Springfield has done it with the 9mm Range Officer.

So, I put one on order (takes a while -- turns out customers really wanted these). Today I picked it up. Although I haven't shot it yet, I can see this will become a favorite. Feels like a well-built 1911 in-hand. Fit and finish are nice and tight. Grips are both elegant and hand-grabbing.

More to follow after I shoot it and give it a thorough clean and lube.

-Sean-




No comments: