21 March, 2015

Spring Fling - Day One

Told myself I hadn't been blogging enough, so thought I'd commit to something each day during my ski trip to Summit County, Colorado. 

Rough start after my 8:03 United flight doesn't depart until 11:30. Maintenance issues, coupled with their inability to get a repair guy on site for almost two hours didn't help my mood to start off. But they bought me a beer on the flight, so that was a plus.

Landed in Denver, snagged the rental car and headed up to Dillon and the Dillon Inn. On the upside, by the time I got there, I was able to check in. Initially I'd thought today was just a loss. But, as I rolled up into the mountains, the stress of travel melted away and I decided, "Screw it -- Keystone has night skiing, I'll go there!". Checked in - Dillon Inn was a great choice for a home base. Affordable, clean, centrally located. Just what I was looking for! 

Dump my gear in my room, change into ski gear and off I go. Turns out Keystone is 7.2 miles away! NICE! As has become the Vail Way, there's paid parking, or free with a short walk. Being a cheapskate, I opt for the latter. This is my first visit to Keystone and I must say I really enjoyed it. Much of the mountain closes around 4pm, so I don't get to fully explore. But what I skied, I really enjoyed. This is also my first Western Spring skiing trip. Last year we went about three weeks earlier and enjoyed 3' of snow in just 4 days. This is a totally different, but very pleasant experience!

The best part of the day was the perfect bluebird conditions - the alpenglow and subsequent sunset were truly epic. After a few hours, I decided to call it and head down-valley to my hotel. An added bonus? The Dillon Dam Brewery is right next door. Great beers and an equally solid menu. 

A dam good day. Tomorrow, I think I'll head West to an old favorite to Beaver Creek. 

No comments: