22 March, 2015

Spring Fling - Day Two

BEAVER! To avoid the weekend crowds, I got up early today and rolled westward to one of my favorite Colorado ski areas - Beaver Creek. I've always found great runs here and it's a tremendous place to rack up the vertical feet. I got in 39,120 feet today. That's a personal record and it puts me around 50,000 feet only two days in on the trip. Pretty solid, I think.

Experiencing true Western Spring skiing for the first time has been interesting. You just need to plan your day. Early on, stay low on south and east exposed runs. It starts off icy, but softens fairly quickly (especially in late March). Today I spent my morning on Larkspur lift, followed by an early lunch and then heading back mid-mountain for some time on Centennial/Cinch Express. My early lunch paid off with the hill nearly to myself for a solid hour. Just rippin' laps! Even hit some black diamonds today.

After two days out West on my Blizzard Bonafides, I am happy to proclaim them my favorite skis of all time. These boards just RIP! They're decent on ice, awesome on groomers, and cut through late afternoon mashed potatoes at an obscene pace. I've never had a ski I felt so comfortable skiing fast over variable terrain. I think the 187 length was a solid choice. I've always liked a longer ski for the stability and the way it just cuts through whatever's in your path. I'm actually having serious thoughts of selling my Volkl RTM 84's. At 171cm, they're just too short. And now with the Blizzard's I'll likely never ski them much.

Over the past two days, I have crystallized one thought - the GoPro has clearly jumped the shark. I can't even begin to count the number of really weak skiers I saw with them mounted to helmets, on "selfie poles" (ugh -- nothing says 'tool' like one of those on a rookie) and elsewhere. If you're struggling to snowplow down a steep blue with your jacket fully unzipped and flapping in the breeze, no one wants to see that on video. Ever. I suppose some of this is must my mindset. Even though I love photos and camera gear, there's really no appeal for the GoPro for me. If you're ripping Birds of Prey at Mach 10, cranking cork 720's in the park, or blasting a foot of fresh pow -- them maybe. Otherwise, leave it at home.

Tonight I took a trek over to Breckenridge to check out the brewery. What a ZOO! It was insane with traffic and no parking. I talked to a local and she said it's all college kids on break. For me, it was just a reminder that I don't enjoy that scene. Though I did find a really nice microbrewery (Backcountry Brewing) in Frisco with one of the best amber ales I've had in some time on tap. And, at happy hour pricing, I walked out after two beers and a massive smothered chicken burrito for $20!

Tomorrow, I'm thinking I'll try Arapahoe Basin. This would enable me to put another ski area notch in my belt. We'll see -- I'm a bit intimidated by its bad-ass reputation. If I don't like it, I can always bounce down the road to Keystone and I'll be quite happy! Coolest part is that Keystone's 7 miles from my hotel and A-Basin is only 14!

Shaping up to be a solid trip. We seem to be headed into flirting with some sketchy weather with some rain/frozen mix and wind in the forecast. Hoping it holds for my next three days of adventures. More to come!

-Sean-

No comments: