17 February, 2016

Monster Boards

I love my Blizzard Bonafides. They are hands-down the best skis I've ever owned. At 98mm underfoot, they're great in powder and crud. The rockered construction and the Flipcore technology make them equally at-home on groomers. I've skied them in Michigan and Colorado in a wide range of conditions and found them incredibly versatile. But, not QUITE the one ski quiver.

The past two seasons in Michigan have been unique. With nearly perfect snow, we've missed out on what I affectionately call "Michigan Boilerplate". If you've skied the Midwest or the East, you know what I mean. That thaw-freeze-that-freeze again snow that's then coated with a bit of man-made stuff. It's more like a hockey rink than a ski hill. This is tough stuff that demands a certain ski to really tame it. And the Bonafides are NOT that ski. Honestly, I really think the core issue is largely width. They're just too wide to get consistently on-edge. We've had some of those conditions in SE Michigan this year. So, I decided it was time to look for a hardpack ski. Stiff. Torsionally rigid. And with an edge like a hockey skate.

Head Monster M78 skis
A quick visit to the always-resourceful Rob Parent at Sun & Snow Sports yields a few options. Oh, yeah, and I want something over 175cm and I won't ski them a ton, so I don't want to invest a fortune. At the last moment, Rob asks, "What about some Head Monsters? I have an M78 demo ski in 178cm that I'd let go for a good price...". Done. Here's my Visa.

This weekend I got them out on local ice bump, Mt. Brighton. Saturday is a perfect example of the day I bought these for. Started the day at around 1 degree F. High winds. A brutal round of freeze-thaw, followed by a chilly end to the week. The snow is ROCK hard.

In a word - HELL YEAH! True to their name, the Monsters grip like a demon. They're damp and stable, even on the chunkiest of ice. Even when the wind comes up and visibility drops to zero, I feel comfortable and confident. By the end of Sunday, I'm blasting through smooth, fast GS turns. Even pure ice isn't completely scary.

Are they perfect? Well, they just may be the heaviest ski I've ever owned, but I mostly notice that hauling them through the parking lot. And the graphics leave a lot to be desired. But for what I bought them for, they RIP! I am one very happy skier.

No comments: