29 February, 2016

On the Road Again

Specialized Crux Comp
View from the cockpit
Took advantage of a wonderful 62 degree day to get in a road ride yesterday. Words can't even express how good it felt to get out and stretch my legs, get my heart rate up, and cleanse both mind and soul. The trainer is a reasonable Winter fitness solution, but it really does rather suck. It's the exercise of cycling, only without any of the richness.

Yesterday, I enjoyed the sunshine, the remnants of a foot of snow from earlier in the week, and just how fucking great it was to be outside, doing something I love. I was talking to a friend about churches over the weekend and observed that by and large, the outdoors is my church. It's where I go to re-connect and re-center.

Well, so much for the deep BS, how was the ride?

Legs were surprisingly strong, as was cardio. I felt like I had a reasonable amount of jump, and even the daunting Delhi Hill wasn't too bad. Wind was up pretty high, but I really didn't notice. So, all things considered, I think my Winter regimen of riding the trainer and skiing has worked. I also haven't gained the weight I normally do. Double-bonus!

The other thing was the addition of the Specialized Crux Comp to my stable is huge and doing exactly what I planned by extending my seasons. My road bike is still set-up on the trainer, so I have that when it snows again (tomorrow...). And, with the road bike being carbon with carbon wheels, it's nice to have a more rugged alternative. She's just too pretty to ride in the slop and debris of late Winter. I also found the November Nimbus Alloy TI wheels really enjoyable on the roads. Those White Industries hubs are SO smooooooooth!

In two weeks, I head to Colorado for a Spring ski trip. I'm sure I will return satiated by Winter and eager for Spring! Yesterday was proof.

-Sean-

No comments: