23 January, 2009

The Value of Value

Recently had another of those, "You get what you pay for..." experiences that was a good reminder of why sometimes you just need to spend the extra money.

First -- a disclaimer -- I love a deal. I'm always looking for one. Sometimes to my own detriment.

Decided that the Element needed ski racks. Just too much gear and a pain when hauling two pairs of skis, fly rod, and all associated gear. And, I already have a Yakima tower/bar system, it's really only one more step.

On first glance, the Yakima FatCats seem like the way to go. Very aerodynamic, good capacity, cool looking. But, the Big Powderhound is about 1/3 less. So, I talk myself into that.

Bad idea.

Turns out the Big Powderhounds are LOUD on the freeway and had a huge effect on my gas mileage - both with and without skis in them.

Fortunately, unlike many other things I've bought (and later re-bought) REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Exchange was a piece of cake. And the FatCats rock. No noise, no impact on gas mileage. If you're looking at ski racks, I highly recommend!

-Sean-

No comments: