22 July, 2009

Big, Nasty Teeth...

Get to do some muskie fishing tomorrow afternoon on Lake St. Clair with some friends. Somehow the logistics seem to work out that I've only been able to do this once before, so I'm pretty excited. We got skunked last year. The idea of catching a 3-4' fish with teeth is pretty engaging! And, it's pretty cool that one of the best muskie fisheries in the country is virtually in my backyard (well, OK and hour or so away...).

Naturally, as usual, I can't do things the easy way. I got it into my head that there's no reason you couldn't catch one on a fly, rather than conventional spinning gear and lures. And I own a big fat 10-weight TFO that I picked up for Fall salmon. So, why not?

A little research on the web and it looks like there are lots of folks doing it. Looks like a stout rod and a few hundred casts should get it done. Stopped in at the local fly shop on Sunday and one of the guys helped me get set up with some MONSTER flies -- these things have hooks like something you'd see in a horror movie. Also requires a bite-proof leader, so picked up some Rio "Toothy Critter" leaders (cool name, eh?).

Looks like a strip n' troll combo could get it done. We'll see. Report to follow.

-Sean-

P.S. Another great road bike ride last night; 18 miles at a respectable pace!

No comments: