24 July, 2009

Mighty Muskie Hunt Update

Well, skunked on Lake St. Clair yesterday. All three of us. We were marking fish on the finder and trolled all over the place, but to no avail. Did have a little excitement at the end, outrunning an incoming thunderstorm.

General consensus was that we weren't getting deep enough. We found the most fish in an area near the river channel on the north end. Most were 15-22' deep. I know I wasn't getting flies more than 5' deep and the spin guys didn't think they were getting below 10'

But this starts to get to something I really enjoy about fishing - the problem-solving component. As soon as I got my line in the water, I realized I was just planing the surface and that wasn't going to get me anywhere. Fortunately I had some decent sized split shot, so on go a few of these. Not enough. So I slide on the sink leader between the fly line and the leader. Better, but I'm still not there. Next time, I think maybe a sinking fly line and perhaps some more weight configured differently.

As they say, "it's more about being out there..." which is fishing code for "didn't catch anything, but had fun anyway.". Great day on the water!

-Sean-

No comments: