27 July, 2009

On Target

Took a trip out to the range with .22's yesterday, with great results. Overlapping groups at 25 yards, then silver-dollar sized groups at 50. Too windy for the 100 yard.

The CZ 452 is proving to be a real favorite. Out of the box, this surprisingly affordable rifle was great. But with some tweaks, it's just amazing. Most recent addition was a J&P striker spring for more positive ignition - this thing dents the cases! Also reworked the trigger with an Eric Brooks kit. For $30 this is the best money you could spend. Took pull down to 1.5# and totally eliminates creep and slop. Tight, light, and crisp. Replaced stock swivels with Uncle Mike's so I could add a Montana Sling.

I'd originally planned to leave this one with iron sights, but once I tried longer range shooting with a friend's scoped Savage I changed my mind. A mid-range Bushnell 4-9x scope is perfect. Only complaint is the stock mounts. I'm looking for some taller ones, probably from Millet to get scope a touch higher to better clear bolt and enable some fore-and-aft adjustment.

After some experimentation with ammunition, I'm finding this one likes CCI the best by far. Either Stinger or standard (i.e. cheaper) Hi-Velocity. Tried a couple flavors of Aguila -- not good. Winchester's just so-so. But I can drive tacks with CCI.

Surprise of the day was the Ruger 10-22. I usually think of this one as less accurate than the CZ, but it was only slightly so yesterday. I've extensively re-worked the action on this one which has improved function and accuracy. Bringing down trigger pull helped most, though I would like it lower still.

I love .22's. Cheap to own, cheap to shoot. Seem to be very ammenable to tuning. Really help my marksmanship and learning.

Just as I was contemplating moving to 100 yard, all hell broke loose with high wind and rains. Time to go! But a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

-Sean-

No comments: