28 July, 2009

Redheads

It would appear I have a thing for red and black bikes. Somehow, without any conscious effort on my part, I have two of them.

The Giant OCR road bike was purchased because it was a deal. Buying the previous year's model, saved me $200. Only change in current year's was that it was blue. And so it begins...

SE BMF was similar happenstance. While searching for a single-speed mountain bike, I stumbled on this oversized BMX bike which SE only made for a few years. Found a nice one nearby through Craigslist. Sure enough, my 2006 model was the last year of the red and black color scheme - they also switched to blue the next year.

I'll admit I may have unconsciously fueled this trend. When I had new wheels build for road bike, I kept the black rims. And Michelin Krylion Carbon tires (awesome all-around road tire, btw) in red and black moved things forward. On the mountain bike, I was pleased when the 31t Graveyard front sprocket my buddy had on hand was black rather than silver.

Funny thing in all of this is that of all the bikes I've owned - and that's a TON over the years - I've never had a red one before that I can recall. One maroon Schwinn, several black, a couple green, bunch of chrome bmx bikes, lot of blue - no red. Weird.

But, I love both of these bikes. Perfectly suited for what I wanted each to do.

-Sean-

No comments: