09 December, 2009

Fish ON!

Had a blast on the Manistee yesterday with friend/guide Jon Ray of Hawkins Outfitters. Took my Dad along as he's not had the pleasure of a day with the Master of the Manistee. For early December (hell -- for ANY time of year) we had an oustanding day. We hooked up on 13 or so, and landed 7 total.

This was my second time out with Jon on his unique "fly line indicator drift" technique. It's a little complicated to master, especially once you get some angry chrome on, but it really enable you to find fish in some pretty unexpected spots. It's hard to explain how it works, and I don't want to give up his secrets, but it's pretty darn cool!

Ended the day on a very cool note. Hooked up on what felt like a decent sized fish. After a nice fight, I get the fish near that boat and we find out it's a FAT lake-run brown! This was, by far, my biggest trout yet! A nice end to a really fun, productive day!

-Sean-

No comments: