14 April, 2010

Eggs-Actly!

Instructor at Colton Bay basic fly tying class was good enough to teach me to tie egg flies last night. We tied Nukes, Glo Bugs, and he even showed me how to tie in the contrasting spot. Turns out its as easy as many had told me. But I don't think I'd have ever figured it out on my own, or watching videos. Most importantly, I learned the key variables between good and great eggs.

Later in the evening the class got into a discussion of "why would you tie flies?" All concurred it certainly wasn't because it was cheaper; until instructor Chris Hatcher (good guy and solid teacher, btw) commented, "Unless you chase steelhead on the PM and loose a dozen eggs in a day...". Yeah, that sounds about like me. Last trip I think I lost 10. If you're paying $1.50 (not uncommon) for them that's pretty easy math.

But the coolest part was that now that I know the basics, I can start experimenting with recipes. Colors, sizes, styles, hook size and configuration. From this simple pattern, I can explore dozens of options. Plus they're cheap -- a bag of McFly Foam is about $3 and will produce dozens of flies.

Looking forward to exploring more!

-Sean-


No comments: