14 June, 2010

Bang!

Took advantage of a rainy, sticky summer afternoon and some free time to go spend some time on the range with the handguns yesterday. Besides finally deciding that my Taurus M94 revolver needs to go back to the manufacturer for service, I discovered something - I just LOVE my Springfield XD 9mm.

While my results with Buckmark and Taurus .22's were fine, I could write my name at 20 yards with the XD. Fits in my hand perfectly, sights are easy to acquire, and in the three years I've owned this gun, I don't think it's EVER misfed. Plus, it's got some unique safety features not found on Glocks or S&W M&P models. The best is the grip safety. Unless you've got a firm, proper grip on it, it simply won't fire. Perhaps Plaxico Burress needs to switch shooting platforms?  ;) From 7 yards, out to 25, the XD is just rock solid with nice tight groups.

My carry gun (KelTec P11) on the other hand leaves a bit more to be desired. Don't get me wrong -- it's good for its intended purpose, but when I'm putting up 1" groups with the XD, the KelTec is more like 4". The other challenge is that putting more than a couple dozen rounds through it beats your hand up pretty well. Again, its really not intended to be a range racer. It's small, and light. These qualities make it a great carry weapon, but a rough shooter.

Afterward, I got to check out a used Sig P220 in .22LR. Hmmmm -- SWEET gun. A .22 auto built on a rugged Sig platform. At $499 used, not a terrible price. And for $400 you can get a conversion kit to shoot .45ACP. But I think perhaps that will have to wait. Hard enough to find time to shoot the guns I already own!

-Sean-

No comments: