10 June, 2010

Water(ing) Holes

One part of the fishing adventure is that oh-so-tasty beer (or three) afterward. I love little local watering holes with character (and often characters...). And fishing seems to get you near some interesting places. Note to the uninitiated in the ways of the Northern Michigan bar -- don't roll in wearing khakis and a golf shirt. You may not find the warmest welcome, unless you're planning to buy a round. Camo is always a sold apparel choice in such locales.

So, I've found two new ones...

Barski - Baldwin, MI
When I'm not camping around the Pere Marquette, finding good eats can be interesting. While I love Edy's Log Bar, the food is a mixed bag depending on who's cooking and it's classic greasy bar food only. But on my most recent visit, I was pointed to Barski on M-37 just north of town. What a treat! Good food, diverse menu, nice folks. Solid bar food, plus way more including homemade Polish specialties.

Herb's Bar - Rock, MI
I know -- you're already asking, "Where the hell is ROCK?". Think dead center of the UP. One of the few places I've never been in the UP, and a great tip from Brad Petzke. This is not a place to grab dinner - even if they did have a menu, I'm not sure I even saw a kitchen. But if cold Old Style on draft strikes you as the right kind of retro-cool, you'll dig it. The locals were friendly, and it looks like a place that's been there since 1933 (which it has). And, you're just a few minutes from the stunning Escanaba river.

Both are great places after a long day on the water, or to hide out from a rainstorm.

-Sean-

No comments: