04 October, 2010

Covering Water

OK, steelhead, time to start making your way into Michigan's rivers in real numbers. I'm ready for you.

With some additions to my quiver, I can now fish a wide range of styles, including:
  • Single-handed indicator
  • Two-handed indicator
  • Two-handed swing
  • Bottom bouncing (chuck-n-duck)
  • Centerpin indicator drift
Between all of these, I should now be able to capably fish most any water I encounter. Or, whatever mood I may be in. I probably fish indicator 75% of the time, as its well-suited to the waters I encounter most often. But I'm looking forward to the SLAM takes of a big fly hit on the swing. When you've got the room and want to search a bunch of water, the centerpin is a way-cool style of fishing. And its pretty fun to land fish, too -- without any drag from the reel!

So, why all this stuff? First, it's fun to learn. Figuring out casts, drifts, and rigging presents continual challenges. Second, I can quickly change my style to the conditions. No more, "I wish I had a ______________ rig" moments. Low shallow water -- bottom bounce. Deep long runs -- indicators. Warm water temps -- swing. All good choices! Can't wait.C'mon chromers!

-Sean-

No comments: