19 April, 2012

Seasonal New Fly Pattern

Last Spring I spent a day on the Manistee river with a friend working on my streamer fishing. During a break we played around with a simple salmon parr pattern on a floating line. The results were pretty cool and I made a note that I wanted to try this again, soo.

Last week on the Pere Marquette while on a late season steelhead float, we saw gazillions of these little buggers. I decided right then that it was time to engineer my own pattern. Or maybe borrow someone else's...

A little online research led me to a couple of simple recipes. Grizzly Marabou for tail and wing, some pearl braid for the body, palmered with mallard flank. Finally, some bead chain eyes and some orange ice dub for gills and PRESTO! One sweet little pattern.

In the coming weeks, I hope to have that good fortunate to stick some trout with these!

-Sean-

No comments: